MapServer logo (was: Call for volunteers!)

Matt.Wilkie Matt.Wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Oct 31 12:56:19 EST 2000

> Might I suggest that instead of a globe,
> we use a global projection of the Earth.
>
> some possibilities
>  o Siusoidal
>  o Mollweide
>  o Robinson
>  o Eckert
>  o Goode Homolosine
>  o McBryde-Thomas
>  o Boggs
>
> The proj library documentation has good drawings
> of these and others

Personally I really like Buckminster Fuller's icosahedron "dymaxion"
projection which breaks up the map in the oceans rather than in land
masses and preserves both shape and area better than most other
projections: http://www.teleport.com/~pdx4d/dymax.html

Unfortunately it's trademarked and can't be used without permission
(and payment to) the BF Institute (bfi.org). However Robert W. Gray
did release some code which uses the same principles, using different
algorithms, to produce Fuller's projection:
http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/rbfnotes/maps/graymap1.html

As I understand it, the trademark applies to the orientation and
placement of the icosahedra not the use of them. So if the globe were
"unpeeled" differently it would be okay to use it.

My 2 cents.

-matt