MapServer logo

John Hockaday johnh at erin.gov.au
Tue Oct 31 17:16:51 EST 2000

HI,

I'm not very good at drawing but I do have a few ideas if someone else
wants to use them.

	1. Make sure that the logo is small to reduce bandwidth or it
	can be reduced to a small image from a tiff etc. (I have
	mentioned this before on the list.)  It's a real pain to wait a
	long time to download an image that isn't really useful.

	2. Use 8 bit colours so that they are small and can be seen on
	old machines and browsers.

	3. I would like to see the letters "MS", for MapServ, with one
	character being smaller, a different colour and superimposed on
	the other.  (The "MS" would get up Bill Gates nose especially
	if it is copyrighted.)

	4. A simple round circle representing the glode could be used
	as a background for the "MS" characters.  Or better still, the
	milky way galaxy!  Is there any reason why mapserv couldn't be
	used for bigger things?

	5. Alternatively I liked someone's idea of representing the
	globe with South towards the top.  I have seen this a few times
	on tea towels and map sheets and it is quite good.  It makes
	people think and after all aren't we out to get people to take
	notice of this wonderfull system and what better way than to
	put up something funny or a bit unusual.

Thanks for listening.

Johnh