polygon size and tilemaps

Larry Nolan lrn at zeppo.geosurv.gov.nf.ca
Wed Sep 13 10:19:40 EDT 2000

Question 1

http://gis.geosurv.gov.nf.ca/mrights/mapdisplay/mapdisplaylab.html  (it only
works any sense on IE5.0)

I have set up mapserver on NT4.0 (DM Solutions compile) using tilemaps to
index 1:250 000 map layers. I do not have all layers for all 1:250 000 map
sheets and I did not want to have index maps for all 12 layers so I created
one index tilemap and used the fields in the .dbf file to list the location
of the map layers. When a map layer was not present I left the .dbf field
empty but mapserver gives me an error that
msOpenSHPFile(): Unable to Access file. ()
Is there any way around this error? I guess I can fool mapserver but putting
in a empty shapefile.

Question 1
Several layers on my map are polygons of water bodies and forest area and
some of these polygons are quite large with many holes in them. i.e. ocean
with thousands of islands, One map sheet has 5000 lakes which are holes in
the land polygon. Mapserver seems a little erratic when it comes to filling
these polygons with color. It works some times and not others, I am assuming
it depends on the current clip window. Is there a limit to a polygon size,
points, pieces?
Zoom in to the center of the land area on the above URL.

Larry Nolan
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

voice (709) 729-2168
email lrn at zeppo.geosurv.gov.nf.ca