LDFLAGS

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Wed Sep 13 20:36:52 EDT 2000

Sean O'Hagan wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Could someone point me in the right direction to find out what LDFLAGS does?
> The best I can determine sofar is that it passes flags to lex(1). However,
> I've also read that the LDFLAGS macro can be redefined.
>
> While compiling mapscript 3.3.011 with PHP3 we got a message saying that to
> enable PHP extensions we have to add -Wl to the LDFLAGS line of the
> makefile.

This warning message applies to you only if you are using PHP as a CGI
(not as an Apache module) but you may get it all the time.  It usually
gives you a flag to add to the PHP CGI link command to allow the use of
shared libraries in your PHP executable.

It comes from a test that I borrowed from a compilation script that came
with php-3.0.14 for dl() modules, so my explanation is based on my
understanding of it and I may not be 100% right.

On a Linux system, for instance, it tells you that you need to add
"-rdynamic" to the LDFLAGS in the main PHP makefile and then recompile
your PHP CGI executable.  If you tried to use PHP as a CGI with a PHP
executable not compiled with "-rdynamic" then you would get errors when
you call 'dl("php_mapscript.so");' because your executable is not able
to support loading of shared libraries.

I've been told that on *BSD systems, the value to add to LDFLAGS is
"-export-dynamic" ... I don't know about the other OS's, but "-Wl" does
not seem to make much sense.

I hope that helps,
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/