adding points to shapefile

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 25 09:42:10 EDT 2000

> Stepan Kafka wrote:
>
> and then add point, everything is OK, but when I reopen this shapefile
> with
>
>     $myFile = ms_newShapeFileObj( $myFileName, -1);
>
> and try to add a new point the same way, nothing adds here. Where is
> the mistake, please?

Stepan,

The current implementation of MapScript does not allow update of
existing files.  You can only open an existing file for read access, or
create a new (empty) one for write.

Steve:
Is there anything in MapServer itself that would break if we added
update access (append only, not random update) as a 3rd option?  I
haven't tried it, but from the shapelib point of view, it would probably
be as simple as using the "rb+" access string in the call to SHPOpen().

 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/