zooming to and displaying selected features

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Apr 5 17:27:09 EDT 2001

You should be able to set mapext=shapes and that tells the MapServer to generate
and extent based on the result set before creating a querymap. Of course, you could
do it in MapScript as well but why bother.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Michael Anderson" <m_anderson14 at hotmail.com> 04/05/01 03:26PM >>>
Hello,

We are trying to send MapServer an item query and return a map that displays
only the selected features and is zoomed to their extent. We have a
solution, but it's not very clean.

Here's what we are doing. We submit an itemnquery request and use a template
to return the extent of each returned feature. Then we have JavaScript loop
through the features and create a map extent that covers all of them. This
extent is included in an itemnquerymap request to display just those
features at the right extent.

Does anyone know of a better way, hopefully using MapScript?

Thanks.

Mike Anderson