[mapserver-users] Oracle 8i and mapServer

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Apr 20 09:22:25 EDT 2001

Speh Sylvain wrote:

> We all know that mapServer is computing with shapefiles.
> But I would like use it with Oracle 8i, taking the benefit of its spatial
> cartridge or not.
>
> Did someone use an interface to connect and use this DBRM ?
> I'm interested in the way to use it, and to modify some datas ( geographical
> and not ).

There is currently no way to read Oracle 8i spatial layers directly in
MapServer but this could (and may) be added at some point in the
future.  Modifying layers is another story and is not really Mapserver's
speciality but could be achieved using the Oracle module in PHP for
instance to manipulate Oracle geometries with SQL statements.

Actually, you could also read SDO geometries using PHP's Oracle module
and create inline shapes in one of your map layers on the fly... that
would not be very efficient but if you only need to display small number
of objects on your map then that could be an option.

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca