[mapserver-users] MSDemo symbol file problem (fwd)

teb teb at mallit.fr.umn.edu
Mon Apr 23 12:58:05 EDT 2001

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:53:52 -0500
From: "Sonia Dickerson" <Sonia.Dickerson at state.mn.us>
To: <mapserver-info at lists.gis.umn.edu>
Subject: MSDemo symbol file problem

I am using  Windows NT and IIS 4.0.  I downloaded and set up the windows binary ms34gif
zip file. and copied the mapserve.exe to "D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\cgi-bin".
Then I downloaded and set up the msdemo. But have come to a problem with the symbolset
Based on the documentation:  If you are using a MapServer Version 3.4 or newer, you will
need to make one additional change. Newer versions use a unified symbol file format,
which means you must store all symbols in one file. To do the switch:
1) The lines starting with SHADESET, MARKERSET, AND LINESET and the last END keyword
should be deleted.
2) "SYMBOLSET symbol/symbol.sym" should be added
3) Make the new symbols.sym file by concatenating the three symbol files together.
This is what I did:
Step 1) I made a symbol.sym file by assimilating shade.sym, marker.sym, and line.sym.  In
order to do this, I cut and pasted the aforementioned files and deleted the SHADESET,
MARKERSET, AND LINESET and the last END.  Then I added a SYMBOLSET and END statement in
the following fashion:
SYMBOLSET
<Symbol stuff>
 END #end of symbolset
 Step 2) I made the following changes to the "demo.map" file:
SYMBOLSET symbols/symbol.sym
#LINESET symbols/line.sym
#MARKERSET symbols/marker.sym
#SHADESET symbols/shade.sym

I got  the following error:
getSymbol(): Symbol definition error. (STYLED):(8)

Can you tell me what I need to do to get the  symbolset to work?

Sonia Dickerson
MN Department of Agriculture
90 West Plato Boulevard
St. Paul, MN 55107-2094
phone: 651-284-3597
fax: 651-282-2442
sonia.dickerson at state.mn.us
"If you wait until the wind and weather are just right
 you will never plant anything and never harvest anything"