[mapserver-users] Shapefile Polygon problem (fwd)

teb teb at mallit.fr.umn.edu
Wed Aug 1 10:50:14 EDT 2001

From: "robert brown" <robbrown99 at hotmail.com>
To: mapserver-info at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: Shapefile Polygon problem
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 12:18:05 +0000

Hello all,

I am a new Mapserver user and I am trying to display my own
shapefiles. I have tried a dummy polygon (four sides), which
worked fine and displayed in the browser.
However, when I try to load more complex shapefiles, I get the
following message:

msDrawShapefileLayer(): General error message. POLYGON layers
must be POLYGON shapefiles.

This occurs on every one of my own shape files which were created
in MapInfo and then translated into ESRI shape. I have checked
the shapefiles in ArcView and all
objects are correct according to the syntax I have used in the
Map File. For example if I have a Polyline layer, all objects in
my shapefile are polylines; if I have a POLYGON
layer, all objects in my shapefile are polygons. This message
occurs every time I try to load one of my shapefiles - even when
I am trying to load a POLYLINE layer!

Please could someone shed some light on this, as I am completely
stumped! Thanks for your time,

Rob