[mapserver-users] Re: OGR

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Aug 7 11:43:07 EDT 2001

> > Thanks for the information, I have now installed version 3.5 - works
> > fine. I still cannot get the automatic styling to work though - this
> > time the features do actually load, but no style information is pulled
> > from the MapInfo table - I have made sure that the features have been
> > given style information in MapInfo with 'style override'.

What's this "style override" thing?  I never heard of it... and it may
well be the source of your problems.  You have nothing special to do to
your TAB files to get their colors to load in MapServer... colors and
styles are written to the TAB dataset by default in MapInfo.

> I realise
> > that OGR isn't fully working yet, but is there only a specific subset
> > of style information that is supported by OGR for MapInfo files (e.g.
> > colour, pattern, software version???).

OGR is fully working... I mean there is always room for improvement but
all the most common stuff is supported.  See the section "Mapping of OGR
Style Info to the Mapserver CLASS Members" in the OGR-HOWTO for the
complete list of what's supported with the STYLEITEM "AUTO":
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/ogr-howto.html#d35e366

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca