[mapserver-users] Earth Force Green.org site launched

Nyk Cowham ncowham at forumone.com
Fri Aug 10 14:22:35 EDT 2001

Lowell:

As the developer I did in fact submit a request for a link to MapServer
to be included on the credits page of the site before the site launched.
However, the client argued that if we include links to MapServer, then
why not also include links to Apache, MySQL, PHP and all the other
software we have used (which they will not approve). I am having much
better luck arguing for credits to National Atlas for providing the base
map data. The credit to Forum One on the site was contractual condition
before development on the site started and I was not involved in that.

If there was provision in the Mapscript license that required branding
for MapServer to be included for all uses that would have been a
different matter. Essentially, we did not use the CGI application but
Mapscript - which is a perl module/library. Again, if we credited
Mapscript, then why not Template Toolkit which was also and important
library we used for developing the application.

If you can give me a compelling argument I can use for why
Mapscript/MapServer should be credited and not the other technologies we
used I will be happy to hear it. You can also try lobbying the client to
include a credit for our use of mapscript.

I have not been coy about crediting the MapServer project with providing
excellent base technology for the application; including promotiton of
MapServer at The Perl Conference in San Diego last month in both the
talk on Geo::TigerLine and Geo::Walkabout and in the BOF, and on various
Perl Monger lists.

The GREEN site may be publically cited on any site promoting
Mapscript/MapServer.

Nyk Cowham