[mapserver-users] Shapefiles

Richard Ford mapserver at cubok.com
Wed Aug 15 21:12:07 EDT 2001

Thanks a lot.

That saves me two days as I waited for the install CD's of ArcView.

BTW - what would or can one do to show RASTER files.  Again I know nothing
of GIS to well.  I know that Raster is a format and that ArcIMS does not
display raster images.  Does Mapserver display or can it display RASTER
images.

And if so - is a ratser image a very common type of file used in most GIS
applications?  ArcView applications (models)?

Cheers,
Richard.

> Shape files only hold vector data: points, lines, polygons. So that
> should clear up one problem there :) Your test layer was declared as a
> raster (an image).
> Go to the ESRI web site (www.esri.com) and download their free tool,
> ArcExplorer. This program lets you view and query shape files
> interactively. You can use it to figure out what you're dealing with
> before trying to shoehorn them into mapserver.
>
> Best of luck,
> Paul
>
> Richard Ford wrote:
> >
> > G'Day All,
> >
> > Ok, I have been experimenting with Mapserver and I have a moderate grasp
on
> > the various files and configuration system.  Not good enough to make a
> > polished site - but good enough to test appropriateness of technology.
:)

> > Now I have a whole heap of shapefiles make in ESRI ArcView.
> >
> > How do I load them!  :)
> >
> > I have made my own .map files and templates - heavily based on the
MS_DEMO
> > download.
> >
> > I have the shapefiles ready and shapepath set.
> >
> > Do I need to have the exact type set like raster, line, polygon, etc...
As