[mapserver-users] label symbol size vs. label font size

Chad Nielsen cnielsen at co.tillamook.or.us
Thu Aug 16 14:20:12 EDT 2001

I'm having trouble adjusting the size of my highway shield symbols relative
to the label font size. Seems I can only make the highway shields bigger if
I make the font bigger, i.e. by increasing the SIZE attribute of the LABEL
object. Problem is I have 3-digit highway numbers which makes the text go
outside the shield boundary. If I increase the SIZE attribute of the CLASS
object nothing happens. How can I make the shield bigger without making the
label font bigger? Or, is there some other trick to getting 3-digits to fit
inside a shield? here is what I have in my map file:

LAYER
      NAME highwayshields
      DATA 'e:\gisweb\data\transportation\shapes\nwohwy'
      STATUS ON
      TYPE ANNOTATION
      LABELITEM "HWYNUM"
       CLASS
	   COLOR 0 0 0
	   SIZE 18
         SYMBOL 3
         OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
         LABEL
            SIZE 10
            MINDISTANCE 200
	      COLOR 0 0 0
	      BACKGROUNDCOLOR -1 -1 -1
	      TYPE TRUETYPE
	      FONT verdana-bold
	      POSITION CC
	    END #LABEL
       END # CLASS
END # LAYER

TIA,
Chad

Chad M. Nielsen, GIS Programmer/Analyst
Tillamook County Performance Partnership (TCPP)
Tillamook Coastal Watershed Resource Center (TCWRC)

  GIS:   http://gisweb.co.tillamook.or.us
 TCPP:   http://www.co.tillamook.or.us/gov/Estuary/homepage.htm
TCWRC:   http://www.tcwrc.org