[mapserver-users] SVG

mark.wilson at rohoel.at mark.wilson at rohoel.at
Mon Aug 20 04:27:19 EDT 2001

I also think the ability to create SVG output would be a real advance for
MapServer.

The concerns about file size are also valid. I can imagine files may swell up
depending upon the map extents and type of output. However, I believe SVG can
also accommodate raster data as well, so one way forward is to output some data
as raster, and include other layers as SVG. (This implies controlling the
rendering by layer, not by map).

Of course by doing this you lose the possibility to get nice results by zooming
in and out using SVG functionality alone. But due to the possible file size
problems, this might not be so feasible anyway (except for the simplest of
maps).

So what will SVG offer? IMHO SVG offers some fantastic opportunities for
increasing the interactivity of the maps produced by mapserver. Specifically,
SVG offers the possibility for much greater visual feedback (mouseover
highlighting of map features, tooltip popup of information, etc.). Additinally,
SVG features can contain hyperlinks to provide the user with more detailed
information (this could be text based html page, or another call to mapserver
for a more detailed map). Plenty more is possible, with a little imagination.

MapServer has been used in the past to create image maps. So the same approach
should be possible to produce a raster "basemap" which could be used in SVG
output. Using mapscript, it is possible to get the pixel coordinates of point
features and these could be output in SVG format on top of the basemap. Voila -
your first interactive SVG map.

Hope that helps.

Mark W.

David Moffett <dmoffett at walnutsoft.com> on 17/08/2001 17:46:49