[mapserver-users] PDF output again

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Aug 20 10:28:47 EDT 2001

I don't think that MapServer proper, the CGI version, will ever directly support
PDF. There are simply too many major issues, the largest being PDF templates.
You gotta layout output somehow and you don't have the benefit of a rendering
engine like a web browser. Simply a PDF map isn't enough you need other things
like scalebars, legends and so on and that type of integration in the PDF world
is tough on the fly.

That said it's certainly possible to integrate MapServer and PDFs. It can be done
using external scripts that reference the CGI version for images or use MapScript
directly to access vectors. I've done the former with pretty good succes. Vector
output is certainly doable if you can get over moving between coordinate systems.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Carlo A. Bertelli" <bertelli at charta.acme.com> 08/17/01 08:00AM >>>
Hello,

Some months ago I asked for pdf output from MapServer and a short thread
started but nor I nor anyone known to the list came out with a solution to
have vector graphics inside a pdf as a result of a MapServer query.
Now, I think there is no need to extend MapServer to become a pdf server; a
different cgi, which could accept MapServer commands without need for some
interactive part could be produced, substituting pdflib for gd. A button or
a link in the interface displaying the gif/png map could just call this cgi
in a new window with the same map in a vector containing PDF.
Just a suggestion for a hack...

Carlo

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta   servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
            Dipendenze del palazzo di Clemente Doria,
            via alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
            tel. +39(0)10 2475439          fax +39(0)10 2475439
    e-mail: bertelli at charta.acme.com      http://www.charta.acme.com