[mapserver-users] very large image handling & serving?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Aug 24 13:54:16 EDT 2001

Matt -

It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it that counts.

We're running a MapServer application on a single Windows 2000 server
that's serving dozens of datalayers, several of which are raster
imagery, and one of which is about 600 gigabytes of images.  If you
organize, tile, and index your imagery well, there should be no problem
at all hosting enormous amounts of imagery on a single MapServer system.

The reason that's the case is because well-organized imagery will cause
MapServer to only focus on the relatively small number of source images
you need to create a requested map view.  Since the vast majority of the
imagery is ignored for any one request, it really doesn't matter if
there are 100K of other files lying around untouched or 3 terabytes of
other files lying around untouched.  They're untouched and have no
impact on the request.

You should be MUCH more concerned about characterizing your user
activity.  You're worrying about the wrong thing.  By far the biggest
question you need to answer is how many images (of what size) need to be
served each minute?  Understanding what your user scenario and usage
patterns will be like are the most important variables in answering your
questions.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker