[mapserver-users] getting shapefiles

Ludovic Tenant ludovic at siterra.com
Mon Aug 27 13:45:53 EDT 2001

Hi list,

I've been developping an application with PHP/Mapscript and I'm very
satisfied with all the functionalities provided by Mapserver. In fact,
the only thing I miss now is good quality shapefile, because I'm not
fully satisfied with the ones I used to develop my application ( I
downloaded them on the web ). To be more precise, my application uses
maps at different levels, from the entire US to county level. For
example, I would like to have state level shapefiles showing the
principal roads and cities, and then, at a county level, I would like to
have shapefiles containing more detailed roads, streets and landmarks.
I've been able to find pretty good shapefiles at the county level, but I
miss shapefiles at the US and state level.
So, if anyone can point me to a place where I can buy or download this
kind of shapefiles, that would be a big step forward for me and enhance
a lot the look of my maps !

Thanks,

Ludovic.