[mapserver-users] mapserver & windoze NT 4 vs. 2000 question

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Thu Aug 30 21:30:19 EDT 2001

Tanya -

The short answer is - it doesn't matter.

I have been using MapServer on Windows 2000 (Server and Professional)
for a year now.  There have been absolutely ZERO issues related to
Windows 2000.  As Perry noted, many users have
startup/setup/configuration issues on various operating systems, and
some of those users were running on Windows 2000.  However, the issues
weren't related to the operating system in my recollection.

The only exception I can think of is the matter of how IIS implements
anonymous user security for Web clients; it's nothing complicated, but
you need to understand how it works in order for MapServer to access the
files it needs.

>From a performance perspective, some enormous majority of your total
runtime will happen INSIDE the MapServer CGI program; whether Apache or
IIS processes your HTTP requests and passes them on to the CGI program
faster or slower won't add up to a hill of beans.  I cannot imagine
there being a noticeable performance difference between the two unless
you're creating very complex Web pages that contain very simple maps!

You should probably start by moving to Apache on Windows 2000, simply
because there's no good reason to change that variable - if it ain't
broke, leave it alone.  You can switch to IIS when you want to - if you
want to - when and if there's a good reason to do that.

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com