[mapserver-users] FWD: MapServer, ArcIMS, or SVG??

David Graham dgraham at i3.com
Wed Dec 5 11:17:42 EST 2001

Steve Simpson wrote:

>I forgot to add that development and deployment will have to be on Windows NT/2000.  Thanks.

Not a problem for MapServer.  Does give you some advantages if you are
doing raster data in MapServer (allows for ECW and a better ESRI Binary
Grid acess) if you have the appropriate libraries.

>Steve

Both ArcIMS and Mapserver have a good bit of learning curve.
 Unfortunately MapServer has a big problem with documentation. Although
it is getting better in recent months.  It would help if someone would
decide to roll MapServer 3.5 as a release and we could move onto 3.6.
 Then maybe we could all pitch in on some good quality release documents.

Basically everyone who is doing anything interesting is using MapServer
3.5.  It seems to have most of the features that people are looking for
(PostGIS, GDAL, TrueType, etc...).  Unfortunatly the code changes day to
day.  Check the bug list and see if there is anything you can't live
with.  Then grab the latest.

> The only two
>development choices are Java and Microsoft.  Sorry, based on the experience of the
>others who will be working on it and the speed we want to get this done, that is what we're
>looking at.  And, I'm leaning towards Microsoft being the better option.  (I am very experienced
>in Java, but Microsoft is all the others know.)  Some questions:
>--Can MapServer be used with Java or Microsoft (Active Server Pages)?

My quick and dirty solution to using MapServer with Java Servlets has
been to run the CGI as an external process using
java.lang.Runtime.exec().  You can pass it all kinds of parameters in
HTTP GET format.  You can either make a MapServer template file in the
java.util.Properties format and read it back in on
java.lang.Process.getInputStream() or you can specify mode=map on your
query to the CGI and then read the actual map image back in on the input
stream.  I have done both and they work fine.

>--Would ArcIMS be more of a natural fit for Java or Microsoft?

ArcIMS runs in a Servlet engine under IIS as one of the default
configurations.  Presumably you could use the same servlet engine to
build your own Java backend.  ArcIMS also lets you control access
through JDBC connection to a database system.

We have both ArcIMS and MapServer here.  We use them with different
clients.  Mapserver is faster (at least for our applications).  No
dought about it.  It is a lean mean little piece of C code.  Not sure
how much of ArcIMS is happening within Java and how much is native code.
 ArcIMS is very flexable, but MapServer gets more and more fexible every
day.

>--SVG seems to be a cool technology.  However, on some websites, it mentions
>how with it, you can take the maps created in MapInfo or ESRI's desktop products
>and put them online to make them interactive.  But, we need more than that.  I need
>SVG to be able to actually do the part that the desktop product does of creating the map.
>Pardon my ignorance, but I assume SVG can't do that?

No experience with SVG