[mapserver-users] FGDC-STD-001 Metadata server

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca
Wed Dec 5 13:02:03 EST 2001

I haven't, but I'll go along, I'd love to see that!

On a related note, a canadian company called Intelec (www.intelec.ca)
provides M3Cat, a Metadata cataloguing tool, free of charge.  It runs on
windows technologies however, but since it's open, you might be able to
replicate it using PHP/PostgreSQL for instance ... I'm not sure what the
licensing is either, might prevent you from doing that.

As for integration directly with MapServer, that'd be great, I've wondered
about adding a DB interface to MapServer, either for "mapfile storage" (i.e.
the configuration data lives in a relational database), or for attribute
data. It'd be great if you could say do a JOIN with a table in an RDBMS.  A
universal interface could be implemented using things like the unixODBC
project maybe?  Do the MapServer internals provide a generic DB interface?
There's allready PgSQL and Oracle in there ...

Anyways, I'm blabbing :)

Cheers,
J.F.