[mapserver-users] Mouse Overs on a Map?

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Dec 6 12:13:29 EST 2001

Can an form image also be used as an image map? I didn't think so. That makes it hard to combine a normal pan/zoom interface with an image map. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) My work around was to build that sort of functionality in to the mapplet java piece I've got. I use mapscript to loop through the label cache and produce essentially an image map (stored in XML). Some examples are:

  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapdoqs.pl

Zoom in close to see the DOQs and move your mouse over the little red pixels to see data in a small popup. Another fancy example is at:

  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/weather/map.html

although there seems to be a problem with the data at the moment.

At any rate dumping the label cache is not difficult, the problem is how to implement best on the client-side.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Data & Applications Manager

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Doyon, Jean-Francois" <Jean-Francois.Doyon at ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca> 12/06/01 09:09AM >>>
Hello,

I know it's doable, but I'm wondering exactly how hard, or if there are any
examples out there?

I think it's got something to do with using MapScript in order to generate
the ISMAP files, somehting to do with the labelling buffer I beleive?

Ideally I'd like to use something like overlib in combination with a mapping
tool, but right now I'm just curious about how hard it is and how long it
would take before I commit to providing this feature!

Thanks,

Jean-François Doyon
Internet Service Development and Systems Support
GeoAccess Division
Canadian Center for Remote Sensing
Natural Resources Canada
http://atlas.gc.ca