[mapserver-users] METADATA part with postgis?

Twan Kogels twan at twansoft.com
Fri Dec 7 07:53:20 EST 2001

Goodmorning,

This morning i converted the popplace.shp shapefile from the gmap demo to
postgresql with the shp2pgsql program. I needed to manual delete 2 columns
named UNIQUE_KEY from the popplace.dbf file, otherwise shp2pgsql could not
create the table and insert the data.

After this i changed the .map file and added a postgis layer:
==================================
LAYER
   CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
   NAME "popplace"
   METADATA
     "DESCRIPTION"   "Cities"
     "RESULT_FIELDS" "NAME"
   END
   # Connect to a remote spatial database
   CONNECTION "user=postgres dbname=testdb host=10.0.0.2"
   # Get the lines from the 'geom' column of the 'roads' table
   DATA "the_geom from popplace_table"
   STATUS ON
   TYPE POINT
   LabelItem "Name"
   CLASSITEM "Capital"
   CLASS
     EXPRESSION "1"
     TEMPLATE "ttt_query.html"
     SYMBOL 2
     SIZE 8
==================================

It all works very well ! The points that represent the cities appear on the
map, but when i try to query a city, i don't see any data.

I suspect that the METATAG part in the .map file are wrong:
==================================
   METADATA
     "DESCRIPTION"   "Cities"
     "RESULT_FIELDS" "NAME"
   END

I searched the mapserver archive online and the postgis (yahoo) archive,
but could not find anything that explains (even mention) the METADATA
format that is needed for a postgis layer.

Has anybody got a idea what the correct format of the METADATA part is?

Best regards,
- twan

--
http://www.twansoft.com