[mapserver-users] raster performance/cache gateway/minscale

Twan Kogels twan at twansoft.com
Fri Dec 14 04:03:57 EST 2001

Hello,

Yesterday i managed to get a raster map working with mapserver. I
downloaded the gdal library to use gdaltindex program to make a .shp file
of my tiff files. It worked and now is mapserver showing a raster map. I
now use 2 tiff files which are 2 MB each. Should i split the map files to
smaller tiles to get better performance?

I'm planning to implement a cache gateway with php:
The visitor clicks on a map, the click is catched by my gateway. The
gateway then checks if there is already .png file available on harddisk.
When it is available, it shows the cached .png, when not, the "click
request" from the visitor is redirected to mapserver. Does anybody have
tips or hints on this subject?

In a .map file there are MINSCALE and MAXSCALE properties, that allow me to
hide or show a specific layer at a specif zoom level. I understand that,
but i don't understand the numbers behind those properties. I now just gues
and try a number and look how it works, but i suspect there is some logic
behind those numbers?

Thanks,
- Twan

--