[mapserver-users] simplicity

LBallard at YesVirginia.org LBallard at YesVirginia.org
Wed Dec 26 12:16:04 EST 2001

http://www.apachetoolbox.com/

I've cited The Apache Toolbox Project a few times on the list.  I love it.
I can pick and choose the things I want compiled into Apache.  It runs out
on the Internet, grabs them and rolls them in for me.  It's a great utility.
With the growing complexity of Mapserver this would make sense...but it's
work.

Lowell Ballard
Unix/Database Administrator
Virginia Economic Development Partnership
901 E. Byrd St., Richmond, Va. 23218
http://gis.vedp.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Puneet Kishor [mailto:pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 10:47 AM
To: Obe, Regina DND\MIS
Cc: mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu
Subject: Re: [mapserver-users] simplicity

Regina,

Thanks for your valuable input.

On Wednesday, December 26, 2001, at 07:20 AM, Obe, Regina DND\MMIS wrote:

> I agree with all the comments stated.  One nicety which I don't know if
> it's
> too much trouble - would be to have or if there are any laws against it
> is
> to have a source package that includes all the other source packages
> that
> mapserver depends on or at least the more commonly used ones or at least

I couldn't agree with you more. I believe there may be copyright issues
preventing Mapserver site to actually put all the packages on its own
webserver, but I also believe that giving specific version numbers of
the packages that work would not violate any copyright. As it is, giving
a link to freetype.org or png.org doesn't do much. It plops us down in
front of another opensource mess of versions and dependencies as you
have well experienced.

So, I started downloading all the packages that Mapserver could be built
with. I am already up to 12 packages, and I haven't yet downloaded a few.

Once I figure out a way to build Mapserver with these libraries/packages
statically embedded in it, I will compile it and there will be a single
executable that can be used without worrying about any other
dependencies.

> 2)  I don't mind compiling my code too much, but one frustration I've
> had

I am glad you brought that up. Lest anyone think my tirade for
simplicity is because I want to have the work done for me... not so. In
fact, I am going to do whatever needs be done so other new users don't
have to face the frustration I face. That is the only way I am going to
be able to convince potential new users that Mapserver is good.

pk/