problems making PHP mapscript

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Feb 6 14:16:14 EST 2001

"A. Giacomelli" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am getting problems building the php mapscript module...
>
> This is an excerpt from my make output:
>
> --
> cd mapscript/php3; make; cd ../..
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/opt/gislab/src/mapserv_new/mapserver/mapscript/php3'
> ld -assert nodefinitions  -o php_mapscript.so php_mapscript_util.o
> php_mapscript.o mapscript_i.o  -L/opt/gislab/src/mapserv_new/maps
> erver -lmap        -L/opt/gislab/src/mapserv_new/mapserver/gd-1.2 -lgd
> -lm
> ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to 00011494
> php_mapscript_util.o: In function `_phpms_report_mapserver_error':
> php_mapscript_util.o(.text+0x28): undefined reference to `php3_error'
> php_mapscript_util.o: In function `_phpms_fetch_handle2':
> php_mapscript_util.o(.text+0x58): undefined reference to `php3_error'
> php_mapscript_util.o(.text+0x74): undefined reference to
> `_php3_hash_find'
> php_mapscript_util.o(.text+0x90): undefined reference to `php3_error'
> etc.

Andrea,

When building a .so on Unix, it is normal to have undefined symbols,
i.e. when libphp3.so loads php_mapscript.so at runtime then the
php3_error and other symbols will become available.  By default ld does
not complain about undefined symbols so I suspect that the problem must
be coming from the "-assert nodefinitions" in your ld line... try
removing it.

BTW, I am already aware that the configure stuff for the PHP MapScript
has a number of problems outside of the Linux world (at least on AIX and
Solaris)... improving the PHP configure stuff is on the ToDo list.

 Daniel Morissette                morissette at dmsolutions.ca
                 http://www.dmsolutions.ca/