Landview reference map

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Feb 16 10:23:40 EST 2001

There 's a bit more to it. The mapfile can be viewed at:

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/landview/reference.map

Note that this is not a traditional reference map, that is there
is no use of a REFERENCE section. Rather it is a second
map that is always rendered using the same map extent. The
thing that changes is the feature (i.e. a box or point) that is
added to the map via a URL.

If the scale of the main map is such that a box can be seen
then a feature is defined for the 'box' layer, if in real close then
a point feature is defined for the 'marker' layer, if way out then
neither is drawn. In practice I use javascript to construct the
URLs depending on scale.

The application found at this URL also uses this way of doing
things.

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/usr/local/www/docs/compass/snowmobile/view.map&zoomsize=3&zoomdir=1&init=true

View the source in Netscape to see the resulting URLs for the
reference image or view in MSIE to see the Javascript.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Felipe G. Nievinski" <fnievinski at cpovo.net> 02/16/01 02:18AM >>>
The reference map definition (/landview/reference.map) has two layers
defining both the backgroung and the red box:

LAYER
    NAME background
    TYPE RASTER
    DATA graphics/reference.gif
    STATUS DEFAULT
    TRANSFORM OFF
END

LAYER
    NAME box
    STATUS OFF
    TYPE POLYGON
    CLASS
      COLOR 255 0 0
      OUTLINECOLOR 0 0 0
    END
  END

Simply that.
Hope this helps.

Felipe Nievinski
UFRGS - Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul