Upcoming developments & New applications

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Feb 16 15:06:39 EST 2001

Frank (the person doing the GDAL addition) can comment further but I've done
checking one both those products and their APIs are limited to win32 platforms
which has turned me off to adding them in the past. Perhaps this has changed.

Also add jpeg2000 to the mix, C libraries are already available.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> owner-mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu 02/16/01 08:27PM >>>
Hi

I think the work you are planning looks fantastic. I was just
wondering if there any plans afoot to support compressed
imagery such as MrSid or ErMapper's ECW format? I realise these are
proprietry formats and there may not be open specifications but it
can't hurt to ask can it?

We have a couple of largish datasets in .ecw format that ould be nice
to be able to 'serve up'.

There is also an interesting image compression project called fiasco
which _is_ open source and may be a good candidate for incorporation
into MapServer.

Tim Sutton
GIS Technician
Cape Nature Conservation