MapInfo TAB files - Getting Started with MapServer

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Feb 28 12:54:11 EST 2001

"Ordorica, Wayne" wrote:

> I am new to MapServer and would like some help in getting my project to work
> with MapInfo TAB files.
>
> I have installed the necessary files to get the demo working, but I don't
> know what specific changes are necessary for viewing TAB files.

Wayne,

The main difference between regular shapefiles access and access to TAB
files via OGR is in the way you specify the path to your data file in
your layer.

For Shapefiles, you would have:

  SHAPEPATH "./data/"
  LAYER
    DATA  myshapefile
  END

To access the same file with OGR you would use:
(OGR connections do support shapefiles as well)

  # SHAPEPATH is ignored by OGR connections
  LAYER
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    CONNECTION  "./data/myshapefile.shp"
  END

To access a TAB file, just specify the path of a TAB file in the
CONNECTION parameter.

Note that in version 3.4, OGR support was limited to classified maps,
and queries were not supported.  Full support is being added for version
3.5.
 Daniel Morissette                morissette at dmsolutions.ca
                 http://www.dmsolutions.ca/