Combine shape files

Chad Nielsen cnielsen at co.tillamook.or.us
Thu Jan 4 12:29:55 EST 2001

Have you tried XTOOLS ?

http://gis.esri.com/arcscripts/details.cfm?CFGRIDKEY=4D4DBAEA-25DA-11D4-942E
00508B0CB419

MERGE is one of the tools provided with XTOOLS, here is the Instructions
that come with it:

Instructions For Merge Themes:

MERGE creates a new theme by combining selected features from an input theme
with selected
features from a user-specified list of merge themes.  In either theme, if
user selects
no features, all features are selected.  The output theme contains all
selected features
from the input and merge theme(s). MERGE does not intersect features.  Each
selected
feature in the input and merge theme(s) is maintained as a separate entity
in the output
theme.  Input theme features can be points, multipoints, polylines, or
polygons.
However, all merge themes must have the same feature type as the input
theme. In other words,
you can not use Merge Themes to combine themes with different feature types.

Feature tables are also updated. Attributes of the input theme are
maintained in the output
theme.  Each selected shape in the merge theme(s) will have one record in
the output theme.
Attributes of the merge theme(s) will be transferred to the output theme,
for those fields
that have names and field types that match a field name and type in the
input theme.

MERGE automatically updates Area, Perimeter, and Acres fields present in a
polygon output theme and
updates the length field in a polyline output theme.  If these fields are
not present in the output
theme, the fields are automatically added to the output theme and then
updated.

Script by Mike DeLaune, (Email: mike.g.delaune at state.or.us), Oregon
Department of Forestry, 10/30/97.
Edited 7/28/98.

Requires:  At least two Fthemes in a View with the same feature type.

Instructions:

1. Add some themes to the view.

2. If any features in the input or merge themes are selected, Merge
will be applied to the selected features. Otherwise, merge will be
applied to all features in the theme.

3. Select the Merge Themes menu option.

4. In the first dialog box, select the input theme containing
the fields that you want to preserve in the output theme.

5. In the second dialog box, select the theme(s) from the view
that you wish to merge with the input theme.

6. In the third dialog box, you will be asked for an output shapefile name
for
the new theme.