java mapimage communication without page reloads

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jan 30 17:13:29 EST 2001

If you use the mapplet.java code I sent then there are a couple of public
methods to handle image loading independent of the page. The key is that
the client (i.e. page) needs to manage the coordinates and layer list and
then construct urls for the applet to load. The javascript to do this has been
written for the most part and was announced to the list a month or two ago.
An example application that uses this stuff is at:

  http://maps.dnr.state.mn.us/landview

Links to the applet and javascript files can be found in the list message
archives (can't remember off the top of my head). (Tom, if you send me the
mods you made to support the coordinate display with mouse overs I'll add
that to the main mapplet code.)

With mode=map requests there is no way to retrieve computed values (i.e.
extent). A planned modification for the next release is to encode those
values in image comments, but that has not been written yet.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Tom Kralidis" <tomkralidis at hotmail.com> 01/30/01 03:20PM >>>
Hi,

I have been using the mapimage applet to work with and display shapefile
data outputted by Mapserver.

My application is such that the page reloads when layers are turned off/on,
etc., as well as zoomin/out/pan, etc.

Is there anyway to make the applet's output refresh, and not the page
itself?  I'm sure I can use JavaScript to update values dynamically which
are now being reloaded by the page reloads.

Can the applet refresh independent of the page?  If yes, do the page's
values get updated for the CGI variables outputted by Mapserver?

Any advice or suggestions are valued

Thanks

..Tom