[mapserver-users] Options for portal implementation

Lyndon Zimmermann lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Jul 3 01:11:13 EDT 2001

Greetings all,

MapServer is often used as a portal, where a tailor made interface is
created for the user presenting a limited number of options calling data
from a larger generic dataset.  The alternative is a cumbersome number
of checkboxes and associated titles on the map.  The usual practice is
to build a number of discrete .map files which call their respective
template files, which in turn provide the options.

These map and template files usually sit on the mapserver server, not
accessible to most users.

Is it possible to do this from a remote URL?  It certainly is easy
enough to initially configure the mapserver - zoom into the area of
interest and turn some applicable layers on, then shift control to the
mapserver proper.  But when the user goes back to the external URL any
changes are undone.

The proper way is to implement a proper open GIS, but I presume that's
not yet an easy task.

Any clues on options would be appreciated and, in the meantime, I'll
continue experimenting.

Lyndon Z