[mapserver-users] SDE performance and error

Andrea Goethals andreag at geoplan.ufl.edu
Wed Jul 11 11:54:56 EDT 2001

> My general experience has been that for very large data sets SDE will smoke
> a shapefile.  This is only true however if the SDE and Oracle instances are
> tuned AND your requests is limited in extent (i.e., don't try to draw all
> the contours for the state of Virginia when zoomed all the way out).

I hope this is the case. We should get something out of the extra effort
and
money they take! Like I said, neither our SDE or Oracle have been tuned
yet. Thanks for the advice about the command-line SDE tools. Please pass
on
any other tuning tips you have.

> I'm curious how you have SDE on a Linux Box?  Did you get a pre-release or
> something?

Sorry I mixed my ASCII art up. It should read: