[mapserver-users] SDE performance and error

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jul 12 15:37:14 EDT 2001

I wish I could take the credit. I ported Frank Warmerdam's original quadtree code and
wrote the read/write routines plus the mapserver interface, but Frank did the hard part.
Then, Carl Anderson took my crappy, non-portable indexes, and fixed them up along
with some other speed modifications.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Ballard,Lowell" <LBallard at YesVirginia.org> 07/12/01 01:34PM >>>
Holy smokes--------------

I just reverted one of my test map files back to a shapefile (vdotrd) of all
the roads in va.  This is a file I had split into 2 distinct shapefiles for
performance reasons.  There was always too much latency for me so I made a
minrds and majrds (interstates-4-lanes etc.).

The result after shptree using default parameters was great.  I can now get
rid of the 2 files and use vdotrd.

If I get the time to benchmark against SDE I will let you know.  I'm
installing Oracle 8.1.7 and SDE 8.1 as we speak on a SUN E4500 (8 400mhz
CPUs, 8 mb ECache each CPU and 4 GB RAM). This should be a nice test.

I assume you wrote this index?  It's based on R-tree or Quad-tree type
algorithms as opposed to ESRI's indexing scheme?

Thanks for the tip......

Lowell