[mapserver-users] mapserver architecture for multi-websites o n several machines

Hockaday, John JohnHockaday at auslig.gov.au
Mon Jul 16 19:51:35 EDT 2001

Hi Claudia,

I was hoping that someone with more experience with this type of subject
would answer your question but it seems that they haven't so I will give you
the little knowledge that I have on the subject.  Hopefully, lots of people
will get annoyed with the errors in this e-mail that I am proposing and they
will correct me for your benefit.  I for one am very interested in the
outcomes of your project as I will have to look into something similar soon.

The Open GIS came up with a standard for accessing data across the web.  (I
think that the OpenIGS is called something different now but I'm not sure.)
One of the commands is something like getimage().  I believe that mapserver
version 3.5 has the ability to handle Open GIS capabilities.  I seem to
remember earlier versions having the getimage() command but I'm not sure
about that either.

You could use the getimage() command to each of your mapservers and they
should return an image.  You could then build these images on top of each
other, if they are transparent, to make a final map.  GD can do this if
mapserver doesn't already have a command to do it.  You may have to make
more that one call to each map server as the order of the layers may be
important to your final map.

I think that there is a similar OpenGIS command to get information about a
layer from a remote map server.  It may be something like getinfo().  This
is probably a more simpler command as it may only need information from one
mapserver.

I would *strongly* recommend that you use the OpenGIS standard as a lot of
work has gone into this standard and you will greatly benefit from their
detailed efforts.  I worked on a system of connecting to many map producing
servers a long time ago and it was full of problems therefore, we stopped
doing it.  Since then, the OpenGIS has addressed those problems in their
work.

Good luck and please keep this list aware of what you are doing.  I want to
build on your work if you don't mind me "borrowing" your intellectual
property and code.   ;--)

John