[mapserver-users] PHP/Mapscript issues with different versions

Rob Martinson cathode at nichebox.com
Wed Jul 18 10:38:37 EDT 2001

Okay, hopefully this may help some others out with a few issues. Below
are my current tested versions/builds and the problems with them.

The system is FreeBSD 4.2 RELEASE and all of the below use Apache 1.3.19
with PHP as a module.

==========================
GDAL 1.1.14 from the website or GDAL CVS (1 week ago)
MapServer 3.4 or 3.5 from nightly or CVS (1 week ago) compiled as PHP
module

-I cannot get OGR to statically link into the MapServer module without
GDAL. This isn't a problem for me specifically, but issues have been
reported. I CAN --enable-ogr with no path if I have GDAL properly setup.
In any case, I am unable to get MapServer to compile when specifying a
path with --with-ogr

==========================
GDAL 1.1.14 from the website or GDAL CVS (1 week ago)
MapServer 3.4 or 3.5 from nightly or CVS (1 week ago) compiled as PHP
module
Proj 4.4.3
PHP 4.0.6

-Any version of Mapserver built with the PHP 4.0.6 distribution has a
problem with accessing layers. When adding or accessing layers you will
receive a message "Object has invalid _handle_ property. I've tested
this using Mapserver 3.4, and 3.5 nightly and CVS.
-Scale bar cannot be embedded in the .map with a map definition or
MapScript
-Plain maps with little modification in mapscript and no scalebar or
logo images seem to work. I have not tested querying layers, but basic
draw with pan/zoom works well.

==========================
GDAL 1.1.14 from the website or GDAL CVS (1 week ago)
MapServer 3.5 from nightly or CVS (1 week ago) compiled as PHP module
Proj 4.4.3
PHP 4.0.5

-Layers draw fine when using a map definition but when drawing a layer
from within PHP/Mapscript lines look to be drawn as points only. So a
polygon will only be drawn as the points within the polygons and lines
between points are NOT drawn.
-There are issues with setting color properties of layers as well. The
"color" attribute of a layer ONLY changes a polygon's outline color
instead of it's fill. Also, I can ONLY get the base "color" attribute to
change how the map appears. Setting any of the other attributes
(backgroundcolor, outlinecolor, etc. etc.) makes no changes to the map.

BEST COMBO SO FAR!
==========================
GDAL CVS (1 week ago)
MapServer 3.4 compiled as PHP module
Proj 4.4.3
PHP 4.0.5

-I have not found any goofy issues with this one yet. Layers draw
properly from a map or Mapscript. Scalebars can be properly embedded,
and colors are back! YAY! I'll keep you posted!

Hope someone finds this useful!

Rob Martinson
Nichebox - http://www.nichebox.com
Development - http://dev.nichebox.com