[mapserver-users] ScaleHint

Doug Nebert ddnebert at fgdc.gov
Wed Jul 18 10:41:12 EDT 2001

Paul Ramsey wrote:

> I have started exploring the WMS capability somewhat... I was wondering
> why the WMS does not provide a ScaleHint for layers which have
> explicitly defined min and max scales? What will the MapServer WMS do if
> a client does  GetMap on a layer using an extent which violates the
> maxscale? I am thinking in terms of writing a client which knows nothing
> about the WMS except there is a service there: in order to properly
> request scale-restricted layers, the ScaleHint is vital. Otherwise the
> client could request every contour in the province, when in fact
> contours should only be requested at a close-in zoom level.
> Thanks for the info,
> Paul

Gee. I could use this functionality, too. The server already has the
capability of recognizing MAXSCALE and MINSCALE in the .map files.
It seems these could easily be coordinated, such that these
properties could be exported to the capabilities statement and thus
would be respected if provided in the .map file. So I think this
is an easy thing to do if you don't treat scalehint as pure metadata
but is derived from MINSCALE MAXSCALE.

Doug.

--
Douglas D. Nebert
Geospatial Data Clearinghouse Coordinator