[mapserver-users] Class Name - legend problem

Watson, Megan MeganWatson at auslig.gov.au
Thu Jul 19 04:27:44 EDT 2001

Hello All

I am having a little trouble displaying a layer within Mapserver and having
the feature display in the legend
We are running MapServer Version 3.3.011

The layer I am trying to display has an attribute called "NAM" which
displays the name of the particular town or city.

I am trying to display it as follows:

LAYER
   NAME towns
   TYPE POINT
   STATUS DEFAULT
   MAXSCALE 4000000
   DATA "1m/population"
   LABELITEM "NAM"
   LABELCACHE on
   #MAXFEATURES 30
   CLASS
     NAME "Cities, Towns, Localities"
     SYMBOL 6
     SIZE 4
     COLOR 153 102 0
     LABEL
       BUFFER 2
       SIZE small
       COLOR 0 0 0
       OUTLINECOLOR 255 255 255
       BACKGROUNDCOLOR -1 -1 -1
       POSITION AUTO
       PARTIALS false
     END
   END
  END

when I try to add the CLASS NAME "Cities, Towns, Localities" so that the
feature will display in the legend, I reload the page and then I get the
following error:

"Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster at auslig.gov.au and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have
caused the error.
Apache/1.3.12 Server at sandpit Port 80"

when I remove the above CLASS NAME the layer then displays and Mapserver
does not fall over.

The strange thing is that it does not happen all the time - I can comment
out the said line and play around then re-establish the line and try again
without touching anything else - sometimes it works, and sometimes it
doesn't.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks
Megan