[mapserver-users] ScaleHint

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Jul 19 10:59:33 EDT 2001

So after all the discussion the current behavior is correct, correct? That is the map is generated but
the layer will not appear if the scaling limits are violated. Performance issues abound if this is not the
case so I don't know of an alternative.

On the map "vendor specific" parameter I just wanted to add that I think OGC missed the boat by
not being able to specify a particular service on a host other than using the root of the URL (i.e.
left of the ?). It's going to be pretty common for sites to host multiple applications using the same
engine, MapServer, ArcIMS or whatever and maintaining the wrapper scripts while simple is a
bit of a pain. Being able to refer to the service (in our case using a mapfile name) would've been
a nice addition to the spec.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst