[mapserver-users] OT: Street Data Nomenclature

Rob Martinson cathode at nichebox.com
Sat Jul 21 10:02:14 EDT 2001

If you're going for cheap/free you can get TIGER data from the US Census
Bureau directly through them, a reseller, or downloadable on the
Internet (check http://www.census.gov) This will give you useable street
layers (although not the prettiest) for the US. As for building names,
unless you can get this data from city planning, the only thing I can
think of that would be close is a ZIP+4 database. Some older ZIP+4 is
available online for free, or you can visit USPS website for information
about purchasing some of their more current data.

As for London, I can't point you anywhere for detailed street data. Of
course it exists, but I think most of it is in the hands of city
planning departments and some specialized data providers. I'm sure it's
available but I wouldn't know where.

Hope this helps!

Rob Martinson
Nichebox - http://www.nichebox.com