[mapserver-users] Australian Spatial Data Directory which uses MapServer has been r eleased!

Hockaday, John JohnHockaday at auslig.gov.au
Sun Jul 22 21:05:42 EDT 2001

Hi all,

A while ago I was asking many questions about debugging some of our problems
using map server.  Thanks to all of you who helped with your answers.
During this development I mentioned that I wanted to use java script to draw
a box on the map instead of an applet because some of our client
organisations don't allow Java through their firewalls.

Some people asked if I could show them what we did with the javascript to
draw the box so I thought that I would post our new site to this list and
those who are interested can read the javascript.  There are no guarantees
that the javascript is readable nor efficient.  It just works and that's
what I need.  ;--)

The interface is a Z3950 search of the Australian metadata nodes.  We use
MapServer to allow the users to define an area on a map that is passed back
to the search interface and thus they can do a spatial search.  The URL is:
http://www.auslig.gov.au/asdd/  click on the "power search" in the top
navigation bar and then click on the little image of Australia.  This should
pop up another window with a MapServer interface in it.

Please feel free to play with the search interface.  I would like to see if
it can handle many hits at once.

Thanks again for all your help.

John Hockaday