[mapserver-users] Newbie Q: Where to get U.S. street data?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan_lists at netmeme.org
Tue Jul 24 15:57:44 EDT 2001

Hi,

I've been developing web-based database applications for several years
now -- however, presently, I'm writing (for the first time) one which
needs to do dynamic mapping. I'm evaluating MapServer for this purpose
(with my preference being to stick with open-sourced, free tools).

I need to display maps of city regions with street detail, and layer on
top of it data from my own PostgreSQL database (e.g. retail store
locations).

My stupid newbie question is -- where does one obtain street maps for
the U.S. in a form usable by MapServer? Can good street data be obtained
for free (e.g. from USGS etc?), or do I need to pay to obtain quality,
up-to-date maps? If I need to pay, can anyone recommend any vendors?

Thanks in advance (and I recommend putting this question in your FAQ),

Bryan