[mapserver-users] Meeting

Puneet Kishor pkishor at GeoAnalytics.com
Tue Jul 24 22:46:55 EDT 2001

Mike,

On Tuesday, July 24, 2001, at 06:08  PM, Mike Neuman wrote:

>> MapServer is not just a success, it is a raving success.
>
>   I'm new to the Mapserver community. I would agree with this statement
> from
> a *technical* point of view, but strongly disagree from an
> approchability
> point of view. There are virtually NO examples of how to create maps, do

I wrote the above, and I stand by what I wrote, and yet, I
whole-heartedly agree with what you write.

I too am frustrated, with my regular web mapping solution, as well as
with Mapserver's lack of docs and examples. I waste immense number of
hours trying to solve something that has been documented wrong, or not
documented at all. Or, the syntax for classes and methods is there, but
no real example to wrap my hands around...

my current problem is trying to locate a polygon using a polygon id, and
then zooming to it... hours and hours of glossing over the miminal docs.

But you know what... this is still better than the commercial solution.
And while that still leaves Mapserver ways to go, it is really saying a
lot.

I really do appreciate the un-remunerated work that Steve, Daniel, and
others are doing, but we've together _got_ to take this further. Perhaps
the users meeting would be a right step.

As soon as I get my scripts and maps working, I am gonna make it
available to others for what its worth... maybe elementary for some, but
might save someone valuable time.

Cheers,

Puneet.