[mapserver-users] RE: To SCSI or not ?

.d.z.a. nacht at widerstand.org
Mon Jul 30 13:57:24 EDT 2001

Sort off, well that depends really.

In most cases you will do fine in with IDE. Seems like the time generating
and latency due to the program out ways that of 7200rpm IDE drives. What it
boils down to though is how many users you are expecting to hit the website,

if its a lot >500 a day or so, SCSI will make a slight difference. IMO
though I have set up commercial servers, not for GIS based web application
however, on IDE Raids that gives me the performance I need for substantially
lower costs than an equivalent SCSI based system.

The other argument is that there is so much latency in accessing anything
over the web, that the performance gain in using SCSI is insignificant.

my .02