[mapserver-users] Feature Suggestions?

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 19 16:29:54 EDT 2001

I'll address new features in later messages but wanted to comment on new
suggestions etc...

I believe we've already got the mechanism in place to support those types
of requests- Bugzilla. The name is misleading to a certain extent. Granted
the main use for the software is for tracking bugs but it can also be used to
request enhancements. Since it's already in place it seems logical to use it,
I personally would rather spend time on development rather than with writing
a similar application. I think the mailing list is the place to discuss potential
enhancements and a corresponding entry via Bugzilla should be made.

For those that haven't played with the interface, visit:

  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/bugs

This is not the place for requests for support. I agree with Dave that it's too easy
to loose good ideas amongst the support issues on the mailing list, so please use
the bug/feature reporting system.

(Note that it covers MapServer documentation in addition to the software.)

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Dave McIlhagga <mcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca> 06/18/01 10:52AM >>>
I was just reading through Thorsten's last message regarding additions
of new capabilities to MapServer and it got me thinking that there is no
information readily available online regarding:

1. Current developments for the next release of MapServer.
2. Wishlist or suggestions of new functionality.

I think the first item would go a long way to help users prepare for
"what to expect" in upcoming releases.  A lot of this information is
available if you follow the email messages etc.. but I think it would be
really helpful to have all this information available in a single web
page.  I figured if I'm having trouble keeping tabs on exactly what is
being added for new versions, and we're heavily involved in the ongoing
development of MapServer, then it must be really tough for organizations
and users more removed from the core development activities.

The second item would give users some real input into the future
directions and development of MapServer.  It would also give software
development organizations like ours an opportunity to guage some of the
needs and interest that exist in the user community.  This would also
provide a great starting point for the UMN to determine future
development priorities for the product.  Sometimes I think a lot of
great ideas that are talked about on the mailing list end up falling
through the cracks three months later simply because there is no easily
accessible collection of suggestions and ideas.

I'd be interested to hear of the list's thoughts on these ideas and on
how something like this might be implemented and not just make for good
theory. :)

Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga