[mapserver-users] Is PHP3 support still required? (was: Problems with PHP module.)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 28 11:50:19 EDT 2001

Chris Faulhaber wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 09:05:56PM -0700, Beau Gunderson wrote:
> > I get the following error:
> >
> > gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/tmp/mapserver/mapscript/php3'
> > cc undef  -I. -I.. -DPIC -fpic -O2  -Wall -DCOMPILE_DL=1 -DPHP4 -DUSE_WMS
>      ^^^^^
>
> Remove the 'undef' from the 'CC' line (configure seems to do odd
> things with BSD systems).

OK, this raises again the issue of the PHP MapScript configure code not
being very good.  I think PHP4 now comes with a configure script for
extensions... I haven't tried it yet, but I think it may not be a bad
idea to use the PHP4 extension configuration code instead of this hack
we're using right now... but the drawback is that we would probably have
to stop supporting PHP3 if we go that route (which may not be a bad
thing over time anyway).

What would be the impact on the users if we dropped support for PHP3 for
MapScript and supported only PHP4 in MapServer 3.5?  Are there still
lots of users of PHP3/MapScript that could not make the switch to PHP4
the day they upgrade to MapServer 3.5?

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca