[mapserver-users] file format (FWD)

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Jun 28 13:05:54 EDT 2001

> From: "Szymon" <smarcin at polaris.man.zgora.pl>
>
> Hi,
> My name is Simon
> I want to ask you about file format of map files that mapserver
> accepts. I live in poland and want to make webservice with map of
> my town Zielona Gora. The only map file i have now is file in
> MapInfo format. Can i use it with mapserver. If not tell me what
> else i can do. I dont want to make it by hand. :)
> Maybe there are some converters or something. Please tell me what
> file formats I can use.

Simon,

With MapServer 3.4 and older versions, you had to convert your data to
shapefile format in order to publish it with MapServer.

Starting with MapServer 3.5 (to be released soon), the optional OGR
component can be used to access a number of vector file formats
(including MapInfo TAB) directly without having to do any conversion.

For more details, see the OGR-HOWTO at:
  http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc/ogr-howto.html

 Daniel Morissette               morissette at dmsolutions.ca