Undefined symbol when compiling mapscript for Perl

Don Silvia don at dlsilvia.ne.mediaone.net
Sun Mar 4 10:09:43 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm having a problem compiling mapscript for Perl.  I'm seeing the same
problem as described by Chris Fuhrman in a previous post:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/majordom_lists/archives/mapserver-users/html/0003/msg00012.html

I've tried this with both versions 3.4 and 3.3.011.  I can compile the
mapserv CGI and it works fine.  I compile mapscript for Perl with no
errors, but when I try to run one of the example programs, I get an error
about undefined symbol: gdImageCreateFromGif:

[don at ratbert progdev]$ dump.pl -file=doq_idx
Can't load
'/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/auto/mapscript/mapscript.so'
for module mapscript:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/i586-linux/auto/mapscript/mapscript.so:
undefined symbol: gdImageCreateFromGif at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.0/i586-linux/DynaLoader.pm line 200.

Like Chris, I'm using the GD 1.2 version that comes with mapserver.  Unlike
him, however, I don't have any NFS mounts involved.  I'm building this on
Red Hat 6.2.

I notice that the Makefile has '-DUSE_GD_1_3' in it, and when compiling the
mapserv CGI, I get a warning: mapraster.c:548: warning: implicit
declaration of function `gdImageCreateFromGif'.  But as I said, the CGI
works fine.

Thanks,

Don Silvia