basic problem

Andy Bernat abernatj at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 19 21:54:44 EST 2001

Greetings all,
I'm sure I'm doing something pretty basic wrong but I can't see what it
is.  I've gottent the demo maps to display but I can't seem to get any
other shape files to display.  One of the maps I tried to display is
Minnesota census tracts from the ESRI CD that comes with Arcview.  The
.map file I used was the one from the demo with almost everything but
the map taken out.  It works with the county shape file that comes with
the demo but when change the DATA and the Name to reflect the census
tract shape file, the map is blank (frame, titles, everything else is
there). The error log indicates that Mapserver thinks everything is
fine: no errors.

The only thing I can think of is that mapserver requires that the shape
file be in a certain projection but then the documentation doesn't say
anything about that so maybe that's not it.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Andy Bernat.

#
# Start of map file
#
NAME DEMO
STATUS ON
SIZE 600 600
SHADESET symbols/shade.sym
MARKERSET symbols/marker.sym
LINESET symbols/line.sym
EXTENT 388107.634400379 5203120.88405952 500896.339019834
5310243.30613897
SHAPEPATH "data"
#IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
#
# Start of web interface definition
#
WEB
  HEADER demo_header.html
  TEMPLATE demo2.html
  FOOTER demo_footer.html
  MINSCALE 1000
  MAXSCALE 155000000
  IMAGEPATH "/usr/local/httpd/htdocs/tmp/"
  IMAGEURL "/tmp/"
  LOG "demo.log"
END
#