GD 2.0 on the horizon

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Mar 28 10:01:21 EST 2001

There is site in Australia that is distributing a patched version of GD 1.8.4 that
does support GIF (and PNG and JPEG and WBMP) and I presume he will also
support GD 2.0. This and GD support for Freetype 2 has prompted the switch
from distributing gd-1.2 to supporting the new versions of GD w or w/o GIF. That
is, MapServer 3.5 will no longer be distributed with GD nor it's own Freetype
interface. This is a good thing. Those that want GIF can build a patched version
of GD to get it. I'll post the address when we get closer to launch.

GD 2.0 looks promising but is still missing a number of features (like antialiasing)
that will make for incredibly nice maps. 2.0 will not be supported until 3.5 is
initially released. Enough changes.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

--- Michael Kleih <michael.kleih at jrc.it> wrote:
> > gd 2.0 is coming! Expect a beta release of gd 2.0 around March
> Only, what is really a pitty, it continues not to support any more
> GIF,
> the most common image format on the Internet...

part of GIF's algorithm is patented. Unless Thomas wants to pay royalty
fees for each copy that we download for free, you won't see GIF support
BACK in gd again. If you need GIF support, find an old copy of gd, or
send Thomas a few billion dollars so he can send th Unisys or who ever
is holding the patents right now for the compression of GIF's algor. :-)