[mapserver-users] open src gis vs. mapinfo (comparison)

rami friedman rfriedman at saucontech.com
Thu May 3 10:47:21 EDT 2001

I have been tasked with investigating mapping and geocoding solutions
for my comapny, a consulting firm.  Early in my research I found this
open source project, but I ultimately opted to delve more heavily into
mapinfo's products.  That was because the problems we need to solve
involve more than map rendering; they involve geocoding, spatial
querying, and routing (in addition to map rendering).  However, I would
like to understand to what extent I might be able to replace pieces of
the mapinfo 'total solution' with open source solutions.

For instance, if I purchase mapinfo data, can I render it using
mapserver?

Does mapserver provide methods for adding annotation layers with labeled
features?

Does mapserver provide the ability to do thematic mapping?

Is there an open source geocoding solution?

Is there an open source solution that enables spatial queries in
relational databases?

Is there an open source vehicle routing solution?

Is there good street data available for the United States that is in a
format that mapXtremeJava understands (.mdf or .gst)?

What about good street data that mapserver understands?

Thanks in advance.